Today's Submariners Keep Up Traditions

Word on the street is that the USS Texas (SSN 775) "lost" her ship's pennant at this year's Pearl Harbor Submarine Officers Birthday Ball. Luckily, the pennant is keeping people apprised of its activities via this Facebook page. Here's the pennant's Profile Picture:

The pennant has apparently been playing a lot of online Texas Hold 'Em and recently posted the puzzling status that "The COB wouldn't let me take leave, so I went UA." It most recently posted that it believes it might be developing Stockholm Syndrome, indicating that the pennant may have been taken against its will.

Word on the street is that the pennant will be delivered back to the Texas within a reasonable time, after it's had a chance to stretch its legs. Personally, I'm happy to see today's Submarine wardrooms and crews involved in good-natured pranks. As long as no one gets permanently hurt and senior officers don't over-react, I think that such episodes can contribute to unit cohesion and improved morale. (Of course, being on the receiving end of such good-natured ribbing might not be as fun. Once, on Topeka, we had to pick up an op for Chicago after they turned their diesel into a seawater pump. We sent them a "Wish You Were Here" card when we pulled into Nanaimo during the tasking; I heard their CO was not amused.)

What are the best boat-on-boat pranks that you've heard about?

Update 1901 09 Apr: Just after I posted, the pennant statused this: "So it's official, the fun is all over I have been turned in to the man. The USS Hawaii COB now has me and I'm awaiting transfer to cell block 775."