Saltpeter In The Food

I know I'm probably going to regret posting this, but Stars and Stripes went to the trouble to ask the military services about the age-old rumor that the military puts saltpeter in the food at boot camps. As expected, the answer is "no". (It's the same answer I got when I was in boot camp, as I asked the question due to the "change" I noted in my normal biological processes, particularly when I woke up. As it turns out, I "returned to normal" during the last week of boot camp, when the pressure let up a little bit.)

Off topic, can I ask again for a little more civility in the comments in general? We just lost another long-time commenter due to general dickishness of a few other commenters. I try my best not to delete too many comments, but honestly, it seems like we could disagree with people's opinions without going after them personally. Thank you.

Update 0757 17 Jun: Also, here's a link to some quizzes from the Military Channel; I got 10/10 on the submarine one (which I expect most readers here could duplicate, as long as you don't overthink the anechoic coating question).