Weekend Links

Here's are a few links people sent this week. I really do try to respond to my mail, but especially on my "long weeks" at work (four days instead of three) I don't get as much time to get back to people, particularly when it's nice enough to golf during my days off. Here's what I got:

1) An article about how USS Ronald Reagan reacted to running through the plume of radioactive contamination from the Japanese reactors. The Reagan's young Rad Health Officer is quoted extensively; I expect he took some crap from the nucs on board after the article came out.

2) What seems to be a pretty decent technical discussion about what went on inside the Fukushima Daiichu reactors. I'm not familiar enough with this design to say if it's accurate or not.

3) An inside look at the newest generation of drug-running submersibles.

4) USS Memphis (SSN 691) was decommissioned on Friday. She just returned from her final deployment last month. Pictures from the decommissioning ceremony can be found here.

5) After starting with a snowman on the opening par 3, I got 6 straight bogeys and finished with 2 double bogeys on my first round of golf of the year. Considering I hadn't hit a golf ball since November, I felt pretty good about it.