"Artist" Arrested For Vandalizing Groton Sub Sign

A New London "artist" was arrested for the anti-war vandalism of the "Submarine Capital of the World" sign that welcomes visitors to Groton. In this article, "Mac" Love tries to offer something of an explanation:
"I'm afraid right now I'm not at liberty to discuss the entire case. I do just want to tell the people of Groton and the submarine community that I'm sorry and I wanted to apologize and I want to say I'm sorry that my message was misunderstood."
But what was that message? William MacDonald Love, known as Mac, is an artist in residence at New London's Hygienic Art Gallery. He says he cannot discuss details now, but he did give some insight into what was not his intention.
Love says,"It was not a politically motivated message at all and it was never meant to insult it or disrespect them in any way. I never really meant that at all."
Love hinted at what he was thinking when he poured the paint on the sign. He told us to think Yellow Submarine-apparently referencing the Beatles song about friends and neighbors living under the sea in a life of ease with all they need. Love is now charged with criminal mischief and breach of peace.
"I do have peaceful intentions always in everything and the peaceful intentions were in that too," says Love.
I'm betting illicit pharmaceuticals were somehow involved in the evolution of Love's philosophy. And what the hell is "hygienic art" anyway?