Post #2000

After I made my last post on Wednesday, I noticed that it was my 1,999th post. I thought to myself, "I've gotta come up with something spectacular for my 2,000th post, because it's a big round number."

After racking my brains all night Wednesday and all day yesterday, I came to the realization: I've got nothin'. No Great Thoughts on What It's All About, no Sea Story to end all Sea Stories. What I do have is thanks to all my readers and commenters over the last 3 1/2 years. This blog has been a great way for me to keep myself up-to-date with what's happening in the Submarine world I was immersed in for 21 years, as well as a great way to get back in touch with old Shipmates. (Just in the last month, my old Chop from Topeka and my EDMC from Connecticut found me via this blog. I'm still hoping my old friend Jeff Gillette, who used to be Weps on Philadelphia and XO on LaJolla will get in contact with me; if anyone out there knows how to get ahold of him, please drop me a line.)

Oo, wait, I do have some actual content! This story about a hole found in the ballast tank of a laid-up British SSN reminded me of a sea story one of my old Master Chiefs told. So there he was... heading out to sea on the surface in an old 594 after a really long upkeep. He was in the RC tunnel doing something, just happened to look up, and saw what looked like sunlight leaking through a hole in the overhead. It turns out that someone had removed a hull fitting of some sort, covered it with EB Green, and it'd gotten painted over and forgotten. That could've gotten interesting had they dove... but then again, EB Green has been credited with amazing strength.

What strange holes have you found in your submarine(s), or what amazing uses have you seen EB Green put to?