Funny Stuff

Pooklekufr points us to an amusing posting on various methods for destroying the world, should one have the time, money, technology, and inclination.

The Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider I've been mentioning recently is included as one of the possible methods, but there are, disturbingly, even more likely ways to do it.

While poking around, I also came across this funny list of the top 100 things to keep in mind if you ever become an Evil Overlord. Little things like,
10. I will not interrogate my enemies in the inner sanctum -- a small hotel well outside my borders will work just as well.

11. I will be secure in my superiority. Therefore, I will feel no need to prove it by leaving clues in the form of riddles or leaving my weaker enemies alive to show they pose no threat.

12. One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.
There's plenty more, and it's fun to try to think to which movies the bullet points might be referring.

UPDATE: NRO's the Corner gives us even more ways to distract ourselves from H.P. Lovecraft's pithy observation, that "Life is a hideous thing." The Fametracker! I could spend hours reading the clever, gossipy insights on this site!

It reminds me of an almost-forgotten time, about 15 years ago, when I used to read alt.showbiz.gossip on a unix server before the days of the WWW (and before Google, apparently took ownership of all the old Usenet newsgroups). The anti-FAQ is preserved here, it seems, and recalled to me the amusement of such phrases as "Gay as an Ungaro Spring Frock", "Friend of Dorothy", and "in the Stereo Cabinet."

I dimly recall someone once put together a "master list" of 2-3 sentence gossip-summations of major celebrities, wonder if that's still around somewhere...