Helping Out An Army Guy

Major John, who posts with me at MilBlog Ring HQ (only he does it much better than I do), has asked us submariners for some help with a paper he's writing. Here's what he needs:
I have chosen the development of submarines in the inter-war years (for my paper). So for all you underwater types, I have the following author's works to help me through the briny deep of 1918-1939 submarine development; Gary Weir, Wilbur Cross, John Terraine, Michael Gunton and Richard Compton-Hall. Any of these laughable, mediocre or really good authors?
Who/what else should I find?
Chapomatic already came up with some pretty good ideas, but I think my readers can come up with some good input as well. Put down your ideas in the comments, and let's see if we can get Major John a smiley face with a gold star on his homework.