Movie Review: Spiderman 3

I'll put it out right at the top of this review -- I'm not a big Spiderman fan. The first two movies were OK; they just weren't something I'd go out of my way to see again. The fighting parts are always pretty good from a "guy" standpoint, but Peter Parker always seemed too whiny, and to be honest I don't really think that Kirsten Dunst is all that hot.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this 3rd chapter of Spiderman. Without giving too much away, the best part was the humor that they added; I especially liked the undereye mascara that "dark" Peter Parker wore -- it reminded me of the Gothkids in one of my favorite South Park episodes. The special effects were a lot better than in the first two movies; you didn't look at it and say, "Hey, I can almost see the blue screen". On the minus side, I really didn't need to ponder over the existential angst of the bad guys; I just wanted them to destroy things in interesting ways. I was about to give this movie a "4" until the last 10 minutes, but all the anti-climactic mushy stuff knocked it down a point. Bottom line: I give this movie three geeky superheroes out of five.