Non-Quals In The News!

Long-time readers know I love checking out pictures of the Crew's Mess of the different boats as they show up on the Navy website; it's one of the few places where a boat can show her own "personality". Earlier this week, they showed some pictures from the CNO and MCPON visit to USS Columbia (SSN 771); the Crew's Mess shots are here:

And here:

Did you notice the same thing I did? It appears that the Columbia decided to have a whole table full on non-quals just "happen" to be studying diligently as ADM Roughead and MCPON Campa came through -- and in both cases, the visiting dignitaries were shown talking with the scrubber loaders. I'm assuming they're giving them crap for being dink, but there's always a distinct possibility that they are giving them encouraging words. (After all, neither the CNO or MCPON are submariners, so maybe they don't truly know how to handle non-quals.)

All kidding aside, I'm interested in your opinion. Is the best way to get guys qualified to make life as a non-qual as unpleasant as possible so they want to get their fish just to end the abuse, or is it best to provide a nurturing environment for the new Submariners as they work diligently to earn their dolphins? I had COs of both persuasions -- before I got my fish, the CO had all non-qual officers standing 3 section EDO so the qualified guys could stand 6 section inport duty. Right after I finished all my quals, the new CO had the qualified guys stand 4 section inport duty while the non-OOD/SDO qualified NUBs only stood EDO every 5 or 6 days -- his stated theory was to give them more time to work on their quals. (I think he just didn't trust them with the plant.) The fact that I ended up taking it in the shorts under both regimes notwithstanding, I actually saw value to both approaches. What do you think?