Submarines On ('Net) Parade!

After checking out bothenook's latest Submarine Blogger Roundup, you should check out all the submarine stories and pictures that popped up on the official Navy website in the last couple of days. The CNO visited snowy Groton, and here's the pictures to prove it! There's also a story on the delivery of PCU North Carolina (SSN 777) to the Navy; the story mentions that the boat will be commissioned in Wilmington, N.C., on May 3, 2008. (The Mom of one of my old Topeka shipmates is the sponsor, so that's pretty cool.)

The Navy website also has a couple examples of submarine pictures that bring me mixed emotions -- Groton-based boats covered in snow. They've got one of USS Philadelphia (SSN 690) here, and here's one of USS Alexandria (SSN 757):

Why do these pictures bring me mixed emotions? Well, I feel sorry for the Submariners who have to put up with the snow, but I'm happy I don't have to be stationed in Groton during the winter anymore.